‘Satin Jazz’ is a new rex begonia hybrid developed by begonia breeder, Mike Kartuz. It has dusty colors of grayish-green with striking maroon borders and deep red veining as well as a nice, upright growth habit. Unlike many rex begonias it doesn't go dormant in the winter so you’ll have year-round color for the windowsill.
|Sun Requirement||Partial Sun|
|Minimum Temperature Indoors||60|
Tips for Success:
• Place in good light; some direct sunlight is needed.
• Accurate watering – Bring plant to a slight wilt between
• Moderate fertilizer once a month. Stop fertilizer in the winter.
• Keep humidity above 50% and night temperatures above
• Growth cycle slows and stops for 2-3 months in the winter.
Plants can lose some leaves during this resting period.
This is normal. Continue normal watering.
• Use terra cotta or clay pots.
• Keep an eye out for mildew to which Rexes have some
• Identify - Appears as a white powder on the surface of the
leaves, usually at the change of seasons.
• Treatment - Apply a baking soda solution -1Tbl/quart with a
dribble of dishwashing detergent.
• Application - Spray at first signs and reapply every other day for
• Prevention - Spray once every 3 months. Pure Neem Oil is
effective on mildew.
Shimmers With Colors! Review by Mary
How do you rate this product?
I'm a novice at growing begonias but I simply couldn't resist this beauty. The photo just can't do it justice. The sheen and shimmer overlaying the leaves give full play to the magnificent range of colors. Green, silver, rose, pink, red, blush, grey, blued tones and more I can't describe. The ruffled edges provide even greater texture. The plant arrived well packaged in peak health. New growth was sprouting even on arrival, and after more then a week with me it is truly thriving! Don't miss this one. (Posted on 2/13/2017)