Here’s another Logee’s exclusive hybrid from Logee’s third generation owner and horticulturist, Byron Martin. ‘Tie Dye’ is a standard rex with deep red spirals in the leaves. The spirals are tight turns and the leaves carry that classic tie-dye look with its red and green markings. This new hybrid tends to have less of a winter dormancy than other rex begonias.
|Sun Requirement||Partial Sun|
|Minimum Temperature Indoors||60|
Tips for Success:
• Place in good light; some direct sunlight is needed.
• Accurate watering – Bring plant to a slight wilt between
• Moderate fertilizer once a month. Stop fertilizer in the winter.
• Keep humidity above 50% and night temperatures above
• Growth cycle slows and stops for 2-3 months in the winter.
Plants can lose some leaves during this resting period.
This is normal. Continue normal watering.
• Use terra cotta or clay pots.
• Keep an eye out for mildew to which Rexes have some
• Identify - Appears as a white powder on the surface of the
leaves, usually at the change of seasons.
• Treatment - Apply a baking soda solution -1Tbl/quart with a
dribble of dishwashing detergent.
• Application - Spray at first signs and reapply every other day for
• Prevention - Spray once every 3 months. Pure Neem Oil is
effective on mildew.
A real eye catcher Review by Julia
How do you rate this product?
Begonias are in my top 5 favorite flowers. They're so colorful, hearty & seem to stick around awhile. The tie dye color blend of this hybrid & variegated leaves make you stop and take a look. It's very different & a beautiful showcaser. Hope this one takes off & I have it for a long time. (Posted on 7/28/2015)