How to Grow Rex Begonias
Joy Logee Martin always grew her Rexes in an east bay window and would only water them when they cried for water.
• Place in good light; some direct sunlight is needed.
• Accurate watering – Bring plant to a slight wilt between waterings.
• Moderate fertilizer once a month.
• Stop fertilizer in the winter.
• Keep humidity above 50%.
• Keep night temperatures above 60-65ºF.
• Growth cycle slows and stops for 2-3 months in the winter. Plants can lose some leaves during this resting period. This is normal. Continue normal watering.
• Use terra cotta or clay pots.
• Keep an eye out for mildew to which Rexes have some susceptibility.
• Identify - Appears as a white powder on the surface of the leaves, usually at the change of seasons.
• Treatment - Apply a baking soda solution -1Tbl/quart with a dribble of dishwashing detergent.
• Application - Spray at first signs and reapply every other day for 4-5 applications.
• Prevention - Spray once every 3 months.
**Pure Neem Oil is effective on mildew