Brugmansia – “Angel’s Trumpet”
Wintering Over “Angel’s Trumpets:”
Get a jump on next year’s flowers by wintering over mature plants. These magical trumpet-shaped flowers will come back into flower faster than you think when given the right winter care.
• Prune enough to get inside.
• Put in dark basement, farthest away from heater. Some light is okay.
• Let leaves fall off stems.
• Check plants every two-three weeks to make sure soil doesn’t get bone dry. Add a little moisture periodically.
• In the springtime, once the danger of frost is gone, take them outside and place them in the potted garden or plant in the ground for the season.
• This is the time to prune and shape. If a tree form is desired, bring them down to a basic crown structure and let them grow out.
Indoor Treatment – To keep your “Angel’s Trumpets” flowering year-round you must give them attentive care throughout the winter.
• Place in a sunny spot above freezing to 60°- 65°F.
• Grow in direct sunlight and allow them to continue to grow.
• Give moderate amounts of fertilizer.
• As day lengthens, more flowers will appear.
• Spray for insects.