A perfect plant for accenting the summer garden or potted container, Black Magic is fast growing and has eye-catching appeal. The leaves and stems are dark purple – nearly black. When they are well watered and placed in a bright growing area watch how quickly the plant fills out. This is a cultivar of the taro root that's used as a food staple in tropical regions. Plants bedded outside in summer can be lifted and wintered-over as potted plants inside.
|Hardiness Zone||7, 8, 9, 10|
|Sun Requirement||Full Sun, Partial Sun, Shade|
|Minimum Temperature Indoors||50|
Tips for Success:
Fast and easy-to-grow the Taro Root is almost foolproof and the large leaves a pleasure to grow.
• Grow in full sun. The more sun the better, although they will
grow under varying light levels.
• Fertilize moderately but be consistent. Too much feed can
burn the foliage.
• In the summer water freely. They can be grown in water or at
the water's edge.
• For container and garden planting keep evenly moist.
• In winter, tubers can be dug and stored in a basement,
keeping some moisture around the root. Or grow inside as a