Epiphyllums, The "Orchid Cacti" - How to Flower
We try to mimic their native habitat of Central and South America. We give them a period of dryness with cool nighttime temperatures in the winter. In the summer, we give them lots of water, imitating the rainy season.
• Totally restrict water from November until buds begin to appear in late winter/early spring; begin watering at this time.
• Keep nighttime temperatures from the mid 50°’s to high 30°'s during the winter.
• Blooms open sequentially over 2-3 weeks in the spring.
• Increase moisture and fertilizer in the summertime.
• Flowers form off of last years growth of summer.
• Therefore, only prune after flowering.
• Use a well drained, porous potting mix.