How to Grow Gardenias
Two simple rules apply:
1- Keep the plants free of spider mite
2- Keep the root system healthy.
• Watch the leaves for the first sign of infection. Look for tiny dots or pin pricks on the tops of the leaves.
• Spray the entire plant with cold water especially the underside of the leaves. Spray every other day for a week.
• As an alternative, spray the entire plant with neem oil or ced-o-flora. Repeat the application a week later.
• Once the mites have been controlled, watch for a re-infection.
For Root Health:
• Grow in clay pots.
• Water only when the soil is visually dry on the surface. Then thoroughly water.
• Grow at temperatures above 60 preferably 65 especially in the winter.
• Culture in a sunny location the more sun the better.
• Don’t over pot. Move the plant up in pot size 2-3” at a time and only when the root system has filled out the present container.
• Go easy on the fertilizer. Leaner is better. Don’t fertilize in the fall and winter. Resume fertilizer when growth starts in the spring.