How to Mount your Staghorn Fern
• Mono-filament fishing line
• Slatted mounting board or box (12” x 12”). Use pressure treated lumber, cedar, or teak. Other woods can rot over time
• Sphagnum moss
• Heavy-duty tacks or staple gun
Steps to Mount:
1. If you’re mounting small “pup” plants, cut behind the sterile shield frond to remove the rhizome root along with the young plant. If you’re dividing a mother plant, cut behind the shield frond and lift out some of the shield frond and its roots.
2. Mound up a couple handfuls of sphagnum moss onto the mounting board. If your frond shield is very large use a larger mounting board.
3. Bury the roots in the moss.
4. Press the frond shield onto the mounded moss so it makes good contact.
5. Staple the mono-filament line behind the mounting board. Wrap the line around the board 3 times under the long fertile fronds and 3 times above the fertile fronds. Once secured, staple the mono-filament line to the back side of the board making sure its tight.
6. When a Staghorn is first mounted to a plaque, the mono-filament line will be visible. As the shields grow, they will hide the line.